The Story of the Cottages
Colne Valley Museum, a Grade 2 listed building, is housed in three of four cottages built in the 1840's by a family of independent cloth manufacturers, the Pearson's, whose relatives still live in Golcar today.
These weavers' cottages, named 'Spring Rock' by James and Sally Pearson, were built into the steep hillside, having the traditional entrance for the lower rooms, like our modern front doors, and an entrance to the top floor at the rear of the cottages.
Here the doors are wide, allowing the heavy weaving equipment to be moved in or out easily.
The top floor workshop originally had no access from the lower floor, but stairs were added at a later date.
In 1851 James and Sally Pearson lived in one cottage, together with five unmarried children: Mary (34), Benjamin (29), Emma (27), John (20) and Joseph (17). One married son, Edwin (31), lived nearby.
All the children were hand-loom weavers, but later became power-loom weavers.
The other two cottages were occupied by relatives of James and Sally.
In 1861 John and Edwin, sons of James and Sally, were living at Spring Rock with their families.
Another resident was Henry Pearson, the grand nephew of James and Sally Pearson, with his wife Hannah and their seven children.
James Pearson's son John stayed with the textile industry and made an unusually good living out of it.
He managed to buy a part share in Victoria Mill and by the close of the century his four sons jointly owned the whole mill.
Following the death of James Pearson, Spring Rock continued as a family home until 1910, when the end cottage was taken over by the Golcar Socialist Club.
When in the 1960's the club moved to bigger premises the building remained empty until in 1970, when it was generously given to be used as a museum.
From this the Colne Valley Museum was formed, and the two adjacent cottages were acquired, one being kindly given by the Yeadon family. All three cottages now house the museum today. The end cottage and adjoining shop were purchased in 2008 and the 'Dream' is to incorporate them into the main building.